Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, October 7, 2018

Dair's Window

I'm working on the treatment for a secondary project to go with my application for the Universal Global Talent Development position, and it's coming together. Especially now that another right wing demagogue has been put on the Supreme Court. It gives the story added meaning.

I just reread the script I initially wrote and it's good but light. I think I'm going to make it a lot heavier and angrier. I'm halfway into the treatment and am already finding ways to do so. I won't actually be rewriting the script until much later, if then. Truth is, I'm not sure why they're asking for this except to see if you can have more than one project or idea for them to use...but it's completely different in style and tone from Find Ray T, so I'm hoping it will show my breadth as a screenwriter.

Breadth as a screenwriter -- I've only written 33 scripts in 5 different genres, 15 of which are my own ideas and 3 of which came from works in the public domain. The rest were work for hire or based on materials I don't have the rights to. Of them all, I think 8 are good enough to show people. The rest are either old writing styles I used or haven't come together in full, yet...and a couple aren't even in Final Draft, that's how old they are.

Of course, The Alice '65 and The Lyons' Den are books, as well, and I like how their stories turned out. I'd want to update the screenplays to match the details of the books...which will take a while. I'm not doing anything like that till I have a first draft of A Place of Safety done. I promised Brendan.

Meaning I'm pulling out of National Novel Writing Month, again. I won't have the time to do it. I've got Underground Guy to complete and put out there in e-book, at least, by Thanksgiving. That, alone, will be a push. And making this application as solid as possible? I'm already seeing myself turn into a hermit. It was with a lot effort that I went out to get groceries and printer ink, today.

Thursday I'm off to San Francisco and Seattle, for a 6 day trip. That will also take time away from my work. But so be it. The nice thing about having a laptop is, you can use it anywhere.

Even sitting in bed while having your dinner...

No comments: