Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, October 29, 2018

NYC like it's always been...and me, too...

Working at Christie's NY today and tomorrow, nice mindless wrapping and packing of books in a sub-sub-basement down down down. Nothing much to distract me as I worked on some lovely first editions of Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky and Chekov...wow...lots of reason to love writing...

SO...my mind drifted to DW...and something came forth that I may need to make the thread of the entire piece...something I was sort of hinting at but never actually put into words in my head. What do you do if your soul mate dies? How do you move on? Do you seek another soul mate? Someone to just be comfortable with? Do you cut yourself off from the world and just live out your days? This sketch shows what Dair lost. Question is, can he repair himself?

With Dair, it's not just that Adam died, but that the man's parents sued Dair in an attempt to get half his wealth, claiming Adam was a major contributor to Dair's success. Which he was. Dair's abilities as an artist expanded when he was with Adam, and he was made known by the guy. So what it boils down to is, they wanted to force him to sell his home and give them half. The place is valued at a couple million...also thanks to Adam's work on it.

In order to fight them, Wallace painted Adam as an opportunistic thief and not really contributory to Dair's career. For years. Now Dair doesn't know how he feels...but does know he's never been allowed to honestly grieve Adam's death. He just isn't sure if it's his dead lover he's grieving or his memory of him.

Something else is, he's  been deeply wounded by this and is seeking safe harbor...with Wallace. That popped up during this free-form thinking moment when I told myself Wallace has a will. He's the type who would. And got Dair to make one, as well. Set his estate in stone, as it were. So this same situation could never happen again.

I have no idea how I will set this out.

No comments: