Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, October 26, 2018

Interesting direction for DW

I've found this story is being told both in first and third person...which should be interesting to see if I can pull it off. Adam is telling part of the tale, digging into his relationship with Dair, as the current-day part of the story is told in omniscient style. Sort of. I don't think I'll go quite as omniscient as I did with Adam in A65...but you never know till it's done.

Then there's also an Adam in this story. I thought about changing his name, but he let me know he'll fight me...and it's really not that big a deal. I've also realized that certain people I only referred to in the script now must be part of the events -- like Dair's brother and sister-in-law. She's born-again and dislikes Dair because he's gay and non-religious. She doesn't want him around the three daughters she has with his brother. His brother is pussy-whipped.

The nieces have to be part of this, too, so needed names. And I'm building up how Dair and Adam got together in the first place instead of just indicating it. Keeping them a few years apart in age works well, but this time with Dair older while Adam is wiser about the world. I'll also need to bring his parents into the mess, since they play a huge part of the story in the five years after Adam's death.

Man, already it's expanding. Chapter One is at 7 pages and probably going to expand more. And I'm titling these chapters.

I started a sketch of Adam, not using the photo I posted yesterday but another that is more indicative of his reality. It's wary, a bit defensive, and careful. I don't like the hair in it so will be changing that, but the rest of his face is just right...including the scruff on his chin.

I've been writing standing up and while my feet don't like it, the rest of my body does. Which is odd. But I spend too much time seated at a desk when I'm in the office, and Monday and Tuesday I'll be on my feet all day working at Christies in NYC, so it's also good preparation. And I've worked in the dark. The keyboard lights up and I'm not working off notes, so it's actually quite soothing. And my eyes feel better, at the end of the day.

Ah, the joys of learning after years of thinking you had it all down pat.

No comments: