Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, December 21, 2018

I am done on UG...

Underground Guy's paperback edition is now available through Amazon, thanks to Ingram. It's still finishing the setup, but it can be ordered. I don't know if anyone can actually order direct from Ingram, except in bulk. But that's neither here not there because this a POD book, not the kind that'll be put on Barnes & Noble's New Releases table.

I'm now a bit at loose ends. I've set up some promo through Smashwords and Ingram and know the Christmas holiday is overpowering everything, right now, so there's not much I can do to get the book noticed. And reality is, it's a very niche market. My hope is the people who've bought HTRASG will find it and go for this one.

So there it is. I've published two books this year -- UG and The Alice '65, and they could not be more opposite in style, substance and meaning. I also wrote a first draft of Dair's Window, a gay romantic-drama. I halfway think I did all of this just to see if I could...and damn well did. Shit.

So all of my whimpering and whining about A Place of Safety needs to be flushed down the toilet with all my other crap. I can do this and make it work. Reading McKinty's books, as well as those of Stuart Neville and Gerard Brennan, showed me I don't need to be exacting in my details. In fact, being precise like that would prove I'm not of the area. All I need to worry about is not crossing the line into unintentional parody.

That's easy to do if you write colloquial-style dialogue, which I do tend to do. And I'll still need to do some of it because of Brendan's sociological background, but no need to go overboard. I can almost hear some of it turning into a Barry Fitzgerald type of Hollywood Irish...all blather and twee, and that would be death to the story.

But now...after what I've done in the last year...I know I can avoid that. I can make this story sing. Pop. Rock. Ballads. Elegies. Opera. All of it.

So just to verify I'm letting my ego run wild -- I plan to make this my War and Peace.

No comments: