Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Working on Underground Guy now...

I've gone through UG once again and am beginning to format it for ebook. I think I'm going to make one more pass on it to be double sure, but overall it looks good to me. And there are parts of it I love the fact that I wrote them. Granted, this is another in-your-face book with lots of gay sex in it, but it's also a character study of a man in crisis who is forced to find a new way of dealing with his issues.

I know that sounds bit silly and self-aggrandizing, but I am fucking proud of how I get Devlin to change from being a wild animal into a human being. Not just because it happens logically, but because it's done in a simple way...over chewing gum. Seeing a video of one of the serial killer's victims pop some gum in his mouth just before going off to what Devlin knows will be his death slams into him with the viciousness of a sledgehammer to the gut.

Devlin thinks of all the times he's done that, himself, when rushing off to meet a new client. "Can't have coffee breath." It shatters the walls he's put up to protect himself and he nearly loses his grip on his sanity. And it just...happened...

I have a couple moments approaching that already written in APoS. Like when Brendan does lose his mind at the end of book 1 and slowly claws his way back to reality at the beginning of book 2. What solidifies it is him seeing his uncle's car needs won't start on a damp morning, and since he's good with fixing things he goes out to effect a repair...and that's the point where you know he's going to be okay.

If I had a better grip on my grammar, I might actually start to think I'm a damn good writer.

No comments: