Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, December 15, 2018

UG is up...I think...

I posted Underground Guy on Smashwords and it looked okay...but then I got an error message so dug back into the Word doc to correct what I think the issue is. When I got done, I went online to update my submission...and it looks like it actually was all right. I checked it in epub and everything did what it was supposed to. Same for Mobi. So I sent Smashwords an email asking about it but don't expect an answer till Monday. Still, they're offering it for sale...so maybe it was a glitch on their end.

I worked up a cover using the artwork I commissioned and like it a lot more. Still not 100% on it. The feel is too light for the darkness of the story...but I sort of like how the light shining on Reg works with the shadows laid in by the artist. I know him as Wereorc but his human name is Brendan Fann and I do enjoy his fantasy work of orcs and satyrs and werewolves. I just think this is too mainstream for him.

Anyway, the story is complete. What's funny is how I kept finding errors as I was formatting for ebook. Nothing major, just bits where the quotation marks were wrong and, to my surprise, a couple of lines where I liked grammar-check's suggestions on sentences better than my own. I also made a few more changes in the telling and found I'd spelled Leila's and Sir Monte's names three different ways and didn't notice it when I was going over the last time. But then, neither did my proofers...

That's embarrassing. The nice thing about find is you can locate the offending words with just a few letters in the right order and figure out how many other mistakes you made, like that. I have a sheet of them to transfer to my paperback Word file...a long list.

Jesus, me and typos...

No comments: