Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, August 27, 2022

Baby steps...

Friday was a day of irritation with the world and growing depression, with what seemed like its continuance today. Concern about Ingram's sudden puritanical bullshit. Dealing with a possible information breach in my financial information...which turned out to have occurred through TransUnion because there's a small loophole in the security freeze setup that allowed those people to get some, not all, of my info. Just enough to spook me. Even though I put an information freeze on it. In which case, why bother offering that as an option? Tension headache. Belly ache. On and on.

I got locked down, mentally and emotionally, and honestly could not figure out what to do, for a while. Couldn't write, even in my journal. Just wandered through the internet, watched a lot of dog and cat videos...as well as videos made by two different couples where American women had married Italian men and how they were coping with the differences between Italy and the US in everything. Made cube steak and fires, enough for two, then ate it all and wound up having to take some Alka-Seltzer. Watched The Women for the umpteenth time and generally felt sorry for myself and depressed at my current position in life.

I finally said fuck it and had a Guinness. I'm not a big drinker, and I've had these cans of it for months. They have the little ball inside that helps it foam. Poured it into a tall one-time-salsa-jar I had...and within an hour I was feeling better. I wonder if maybe part of my problem was an iron deficiency.

I changed all my passcodes for credit cards and bank as well as some others I use a lot. Tried to set up 2FA authentication for signing in on a few but that got so screwed up I canceled it all. Decided if Ingram gets nasty I can keep my books going in ebook form; the PB and HC sales are 10% of my total so I can live with it.

The only loss would be my coloring book. Which I might be able to set up through a Patreon page. I know people who do that, and while my art isn't as good as theirs, it is a lot of wicked fun.

But best of all -- I got back to work on APoS. I went back over the first two chapters and added in some changes I'd come up with since the last time I was working on it...and now know I'll need to do at least three more drafts to make it clear and smooth.

To start, the family now lives off Nailors Row, not on, and I'm being nonspecific about that. Same for all locations alluded to. And initially I had it set up so neither Brendan nor his siblings knew of any uncles they had, but that was ridiculous. People in that town know everything about everybody back ten generations.

So he's now learned that his aunt in Houston is trying to make contact with the men, and has four of the seven. Ma, however, wants nothing to do with them because she feels they abandoned her and her sister to the mercy of the nuns in an orphanage. From what I've heard about those places, small wonder she'd hate her brothers' guts.

Shit...I'm having another Guinness, tomorrow.

No comments: