Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, August 4, 2022

Techie blues...

I'm trying to figure out how to set up a new website with GoDaddy...and all it's led me to is wondering whether or not I actually need one. I only used my old one to link people to places where they could buy my books; I didn't sell direct. So what would I use it for?

Other authors have websites that are full of major flash and dash to sell their books, but I'm sure they're putting a lot of money into them. Nicholas Bella writes books along the same lines as me, if maybe a bit more mainstream and with better consistency, and his website's got scrolling and lots of droplets and links to trailers for his work and upcoming and it's like a full-scale business. I suck at that kind of stuff.

I post on Facebook and Tumblr and GoodReads, and those gain me the most in sales. I've never been a big seller, nor do I think my books ever will be. My three forays into mainstream have gone nowhere, and that's despite me sinking thousands of dollars into making them and getting them advertised. So I either get someone to do this for me who knows what they're doing, at a price, or I keep muttering along.

I have found I prefer the latter. I'm not a seriously ambitious person. I've always liked the idea of success, but not to the extent of becoming slave to it. I also know a lot of success is luck and persistence, neither of which I've ever had. I sometimes wonder if I have a touch of ADHD or am on the low end of the Autism spectrum, because I have a hell of a time sticking with anything straight through to the end. I get bored with whatever project I've started and drop it halfway. That I have nearly 3 dozen screenplays written is still amazing to me, let alone a dozen books.

I've only gotten this far with A Place of Safety because I keep shifting off to other projects and then come back to it...and it inches further along. I've got thousands of documents and files and dozens of books collected over the last 20 years, and it's only just now getting close to completion. So maybe this is my inherent method. Tortoise, not hare. Slowly closing in on the finish line.

No comments: