Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, August 14, 2022

Worried...

Okay...I've figured out part of my problem, right now, is I'm really nervous about a job I'm scheduled for in Ketchum, ID. Considering the issues the airlines seem to be having with making flights that actually go someplace, I can see a hundred issues falling apart and preventing me from making the trip. And it's got me pretty tense.

First off, I'm booked on a 5:30am flight to Denver, Tuesday morning, then up to Boise, then drive 3 hours. Not my favorite plan. I'm also going to be in an area of the country that is very anti-masking and I will be wearing a mask. Then comes packing archives into boxes in one day at a speed I don't normally do in time to be picked up on Thursday, then back to Boise...and finally getting home at 1:20 am Saturday morning. The whole thing makes me hurt.

I'm changing planes in Denver, right now, and if either of my flights are delayed or canceled, I still have to pay for that night's hotel room. I might lose the car I've reserved, and it will not please a very important client. It's made me very uptight. I hate the thought of not fulfilling an obligation or having to deal with an airline that's going to be a pain in the ass...or people that are. The one good thing is, I'd be traveling alone so don't have to worry about anybody but me.

What finally helped me calm down enough to get rid of a tension headache was working out how to get there through Salt Lake City. That would mean driving 5 hours but could be done. I also found another airline that goes into Sun Valley, which is next to Ketchum. It's more expensive, but it cuts out a 3 hour drive so I could arrive late in the evening.

None of this is perfect. And I'm still too uptight to focus on anything creative...so I watched Murder on the Orient Express (1974), again...and I'm almost back to human. Not one thought towards APoS, however. I'm still too tense.

I'm getting to where I hate to travel...though if I could do the train to there, I'd probably be a lot happier. I love taking the train to NYC.

No comments: