Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, December 12, 2022

A truth is proven...

It's long been said that if you want to find a typo in your book, have it edited, proofed, published and then, when you get your copy, open to a random page and there it will be. Well...that actually happened to me, today. I got a print copy of Carli's Kills from KDP and opened it to check the printing and formatting -- all good -- and then I looked at the next to the last page of the next to last chapter...and there it was. His instead of This.

I howled.

Then noticed a second typo -- a missing "." partway into the last chapter. So working on APoS went out the window and I am now going through the book, backwards, zoomed into 400% on the text and checking all the way. I'm at the mid-point, now, and my eyes are crossed, but it did help me notice one step I take did not go through, and I know I did it.

I sometimes cut off dialogue with a - " to indicate the following speaker interrupted the person speaking. Problem is, Times New Roman reads the quotation mark as being at the beginning of a sentence instead of the end, and puts it in backwards, as is evident on the image, midway to the left, in comparison to one just above it. I usually do a replace all to correct that...and I'm 99% sure I did it on CK, bit it didn't take. And I didn't notice. So I'll be re-uploading the text to KDP, once I'm done. That's too many to ignore.

The one issue with going through the story like I'm doing is it takes a long time and is rather tedious. Of course, it also makes it impossible to get caught up in the story. I do about 1/5 a page at a time, on my laptop's monitor. But now I'm so paranoid that I have more typos, I'm pushing through the whole book.

Partial-page-by-partial-page.

No comments: