Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Writer gripes

Sometimes it's close to impossible for me to make myself sit down and just do the work on my stories that I know I need to do. Distractions pop up, like tweets about Ukraine and the latest GOP travesty (AKA: George Santos, who claimed to be Jewish but swears he only meant he's Jew-ish, or something dumb like that) and then I get going on tweeting and deciding to make a meatloaf...just crap stuff. So I'm lucky if I make it through a chapter a day.

Which I did, today. Chapter Three of APoS-New World For Old. That also went off on a tangent when Brendan discusses his two female cousins and how they harass him. They actually suggest he's not really part of the family because he looks more like Jeremy, their brother, Scott's Jewish best friend. I had to follow through to the end and found it actually added to Brendan's turmoil, at the time...so will probably keep it.

This brings the full story up to 110,000 words and that's before I get into the parts that need expanding. However, there will also be some cutting with the new direction the story is taking so it may not be too bad.

What's fun is, Brendan suddenly revealed he's never had a cheeseburger, which I hadn't realized. But Jeremy admits he doesn't keep kosher because he loves them too much, and promises to bring Bren one from Champs. He would just take Brendan there but Uncle Sean won't let him. First indication that the man is hiding something and doesn't want Brendan out and about.

Doesn't help that I've built up a near-headache and I seem to be diving deeper into a form of dyslexia. I keep reversing letters in words or flat out scramble-spelling them. Which may be old age or simple lack of focus. I haven't left my apartment since Friday, except to take out the trash. I'm fine with food and such, and don't really feel the need to go anywhere, but I am tired of cooking my own meals.

No comments: