Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, March 24, 2023

Another job done...

It was not an easy packing job, the one I just finished. 64 boxes containing 650-700 volumes on birds, most of them coffee table books...so heavy, and with no room to really stage the boxes. Total weight was 2850lbs, including the weight of the containers. This is just one of the 4 containers I put the boxes into for shipping.

I was also dealing with a man who's older than me and who isn't a book person checking the books off against his own list...to which he added a couple hundred volumes and dropped some others. But the shipment is now in 64 cartons and bulk containers for transport to the UK. And I'm beat to hell.

The one good thing about this trip, so far, is I now know I am at the stage where I do not need to think about APoS, anymore. I feel as if I have the entire story now sorted out in my head and all I'm going to be doing as I re-write Book Three-Return is pull the moments I need from my head, to make the story happen.

I know I kept thinking I was at that stage, but I haven't come up with a single new thought about APoS on my long, looonnnng drives -- more than 8 hours to Amesbury, then two hours to Windsor Locks to pack the containers, then two hours to Albany...by which time if I hadn't had a room already reserved I'd have booked one. Hard to drive when you are nearly falling asleep.

What's next on my agenda is to do an outline of Return, even though I've only got it in second draft form. There is a whole sequence I will be adding where Brendan goes to the University in nearby Coleraine and hears actual audiotapes of his father telling a story. The effect on him is confusing, to say the least, but it gets him to risk visiting his brother in The Maze prison to ask him about it. He's still seen as Jeremy Landau, at this point, but it draws attention to himself that isn't wise and may be why he's found out by the RUC. Maybe.

We'll see what happens when I write it.

No comments: