Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Slop day...

I have a kitchen sink filled with dishes, pots, pans and glasses that I have not washed and may not do it till tomorrow. I had one of my headaches and just didn't feel up for it. I did make myself do a bit of contemplating about a job in the UK that I won't get to be part of because it's not all that valuable or difficult to do. We have a guy there who can handle it. So I worked up a possible scenario for it then got back onto APoS - Return.

I could say I polished up 2 chapters, but reality is I expanded the first chapter by enough to break it in half and make two. They're about Brendan's preparations for traveling back to Derry, not as himself or even the fake name his uncle forced on him but as Jeremy Landau, his Jewish buddy. He and Jeremy look enough alike to be brothers, so he cuts his hair and has Everett add some russet highlights, and borrows Jeremy's passport. A document filled with travels all over the world, since he's in the oil business.

This will make him different enough from his old self to give him cover, at least for a while. In Derry, secrets cannot be kept for long. But he's been in Texas long enough to be able to talk in a lousy twang, and since Dallas is playing in the UK and the accents on that show were rather over the top, he should be fine.

There's a direct flight on British Caledonian from Houston's Intercontinental (as it was called before it was renamed Bush Intercontinental) into Gatwick, then Glasgow, then a puddle-jumper over to Derry. Not cheap, but Brendan's been saving for years and has plenty to handle it.

He finally acknowledges this was a subconscious part of his plan to escape his uncle's control. By this point, his brother, Rhuari, is living in Derry and working at a college to teach Gaelic, so he's much better protected. And Brendan now knows Da was not born a Kinsella but took the name when he married Ma. Why? That will be revealed...maybe. Or maybe it won't. No telling.

It's up to Brendan to decide.

No comments: