Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Glancing blow, maybe?

I'm already feeling better in this Covid saga. It's been crazy. Negative on Saturday. Full-fledged on Monday. Like the tail end of a sinus infection, today. Tempted to run a test just to see if it's gone, yet, but I told myself, wait to see what it says on Friday. Give it plenty of time to depart me, hopefully, forever. But from now on, I'm wearing 2 masks when I go out. Taking no more chances.

I got a couple of chapters each worked into a short 3 paragraphs on APoS, as it's going along. First is when Jeremy comes back from Israel, having fought in the Yom Kippur war, and the only person he feels any kinship to is Brendan, because he's also seen death. What follows is Brendan's turning 19 so Rene, his boss, throws a Cajun celebration for him, including the whole three pots, Falstaff beer and beignets.

New World For Old has 27 chapters in it. That seems like a lot, but I like where they break so not going to mess with them. I'm letting it just flow...but skimming through it for the synopsis is showing me places I can tighten and/or expand the connection to Derry's situation, in Brendan's consciousness. He's going to nearly flip out thanks to the Mardis Gras crowd in the French Quarter because the chaos becomes a combination of the Celebration Fleadh and Bloody Sunday.

Looks like my first job this month will be handling moving an archive from Berkeley to a university for someone very well-known. All I'm doing is overseeing the collection from where it's stored and then put into shipping containers to protect it. No physical labor, if I can help it. Hell, not even a day's work, but a trip to SFO and back...and maybe a stop in Chicago or NYC en route back.

Too bad I no longer like San Francisco. 

No comments: