Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, March 2, 2023

I will arrive...

I got two more chapters reduced to three paragraphs, each, telling what's happening. Seems that's all I'm able to do, at a time, before I zone. I'm still not 100% but also still better than yesterday. And I'm seeing spots in the chapters that I've written where I can deepen the story even more.

Something I've noticed is Brendan isn't as OCD in this book, and that may need to be changed. Granted, he's had a brutal shock, so maybe that could alter his personality...but it's not feeling right. He'd still have his habits, and they do show up, now and again.

When he returns from the New Orleans trip, he gets into a huge argument with his Uncle because he didn't tell the family he was going. He didn't even think about it. That is how he learns he's overstayed his visa and they're just letting it ride because he's white. But running around with a group of black and Cajun people is just begging for the cops to start nosing around, wondering what's going on.

His uncle's casual racism hits him wrong...and snarls back at him...then the man punches him to the floor. Aunt Mari has to intervene, and tells Brendan it's just better for all concerned if he keeps a low-profile. Even the IRA was pissed at him for ruining their plans, despite not meaning to.

Now Brendan feels like he's really a prisoner. He focuses on his repair jobs to help him settle his mind. As Joanna said in Book One, he likes to fix things when he's upset...and it does help him decide to just do what he wants, but quietly. Except he's about to learn there is no quiet way for a white boy to date a black girl in mid-70s Houston. Hell, there are people around even today who will disown their kids if they get involved with someone from another race. That's how little things have changed.

But this is a lesson Brendan will learn the hard way.

No comments: