Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, March 31, 2023

Putting the brakes on...

I had to take a step back and let this jumble about how Brendan gets from Derry to Houston settle in my head because I was getting lost in it and probably making things worse. At least this little breather is helping me accept that the set up is simple while I'm still trying to complicate it.

As mentioned yesterday, Brendan was already leaving. He had his passport and has established a reason for his absence. He has no known link to the bombing. Things are in such chaos at that moment, no one can really say whether or not they saw him being carted off. So he's covered, there.

There are still those in the IRA who want to just put him in a grave, but that's stopped, quick. I had his sister in Toronto involved in deciding to have him brought to Houston, but that's now questionable. However, his aunt still makes sense. She's always had an interest in him and sent him money and things. She forces her husband to arrange it, with Brendan now under another name and being brought to the US for treatment of a heart condition, once his wounds are healed.

Which means Uncle Sean would probably have both of his passports -- the one he got for himself and the faked one set up to bring him to the US. So I still need to work out the way that's going to play. Or if it does. I'm not completely sure.

Another thing is, neither the British Army nor the RUC would be looking for him, to question. It's only later they learn he might have been there and seen it or helped in it. I know how to have that happen, and it adds a complication to Brendan's time in Derry, upon his return.

Oh, Lord...am I ever going to get finished with this book? Every time I think I'm close, I peel back another layer of complications.

No comments: