Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, April 1, 2023

Back to 1.253978886204 or something

Okay, in order to make this work in my head, I rewrote the final part of APoS-Derry, after the bomb, and now I'm going through New World for Old to re-establish Brendan as someone other than who he is. He doesn't realize it, at first, because everyone refers to him as Bren or Cousin Bren. If anyone starts to get too specific about anything regarding him, his aunt or uncle quietly shift the conversation away from that.

I've worked through the first three chapters and it's doing well. Now comes the one where his aunt finally explains to him the reality of the situation...and rather than be horrified, he's relieved. To his own shock. He was brought over as Brennan McGabbhin, a third cousin from Donegal, in Ireland. Brendan has simply vanished and no one knows where. And they plan to keep it like that.

Something else popped into this that I'm a bit startled by. He's injured in the bombing and his heart is close to giving out, and there are discussions as to whether or not to finish him off. So Ma decides to end the arguments by trying to smother him, but is stopped by Eamonn and Father Jack. Bren only remembers snatches of it, as well as moments from the trip over when his medications were wearing off.

But this may lead to Brendan finding out why his mother treats him rough...and my current thought is, she tried to force a miscarriage and it didn't work, like had happened with other pregnancies. She did not want another child, yet here he is, and he's the one who gives her the most trouble. She doesn't hate him; she resents him.

At the moment, I've got Brendan being given Valium to keep him quiet, but I may change that to Librium. Still looking into the interaction with nitroglycerin tablets, since he has a heart issue. So far it doesn't seem like it's a good idea to mix the two. But something to keep in mind is this is 1972/3 and the research is not as conclusive about any of that, yet.

Of course, I only intended to work new details into small sections of the book. Never was gonna happen that way; I did one change here with led to another change there and now I'd doing a full rewrite of NWfO. It's just my way of writing.

No comments: