Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, April 2, 2023

Piss poor writer...

Not very up, at the moment. Going through this rewrite of New World for Old, I'm finding stupid mistakes and repetitions and contradictions and it's kicking me in the balls. I can understand typos and even missing words, since sometimes my brain races ahead of my fingers, and while I try to catch them all I know I won't. Even though I'll have gone through it again and again. Then had it proofed. And gone through, again.

But in this I had Brendan calling Bernadette and Brandi, his cousins who act like they're twins but aren't, by their names when he can't yet tell them apart. And they like to mess with him, despite their mother's warning. Made obvious because I mention a few paragraphs later that he still can't tell them apart.

And it's set up he has an appointment with a doctor the following Thursday, but the way much of the preceding chapter is written it seems like events take place over a few weeks. Had to clarify that. But finding issues like this, even as I'm trying to make the book consistent and believable, hit hard at my self-confidence.

I'm still plugging through, but it's looking more and more like this draft is going to take some time. Good thing is, I only have one or two days lined up at Caladex to go over paperwork for the NY Antiquarian Book Fair. That'll happen around two weeks prior to the last weekend of the month, when the fair takes place.

I'm halfway tempted to drive to Toronto and have some Beijing Beef at a Panda Express, there. About 100 miles, each way, for fake Chinese food, but it's one of my obsessions and there are none in this area. Like Jack in the Box; none in the mid-Atlantic or New England states for some damn reason. Two of their tacos would be perfect, right now.

No comments: