Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, April 8, 2023

Why?

I'm stuck in wondering why Brendan is snuck into the US instead of just being put in a grave. Why would PIRA go through all that trouble? How would they even know a way to contact his aunt and uncle and assume they would agree to it? Or...how would his aunt find out about this in time to stop him being shot and buried? He would be a direct link back to his family and his brother and friends, if he was allowed to live.

Does it have to do with his father? Anything that happened with him would have been nearly 25 years before the bombing, when the IRA was regrouping and trying to figure out who they were, again, after WW2. Their next border campaign to break the NI away from the UK wasn't until the middle 50s, right around the time Brendan was born.

I don't have an answer and I need one to continue. It will figure in everything, because even he is wondering this. He's ecstatic he's free...but he's also wondering why. There has to be a reason for this to be happening this way, and I've been glossing over it till now. Ignoring it, really. So I spent all day wondering and asking myself and digging and coming up empty.

Worked myself into a tension headache and made a pain in my middle right back even worse, so right now my head is killing me and my back won't let me move fast, at all. Can't blame that just on old age. It's all because I'm pushing to get to the end of this book and I need answers. And I'm not finding them. I'm even wondering if there is one. If maybe I've written myself into a corner with no way out...and will have to redo Book One completely. Shit.

Maybe sometimes there is no answer.

No comments: