Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

In the new beginning...

 Okay, I've uploaded the reformatted version of The Lyons' Den to Smashwords. Just waiting for it to be vetted for any errors then it's going in their promo catalogue. I also updated the blurb and description to better reflect what the book is -- a dramatic farce with madness and romance. We'll see if this helps it, any.

I added a section of Carli's Kills to the tail of the ebook, as a sample. It's where Carli first approaches Zeke, probably planning to kill him but instead they talk and she backs away. It's in place of the opening chapter of The Vanishing of Owen Taylor, which I'd added to the old version. I think they fit together better.

Here is basically what the cover art is going to be. Dan Skinner came up with this in just a couple hours and I really like it, except for one thing; I asked him to wrap a muffler around Van's character because right now he looks too much like a Tad in all that too-cool black. Once I get the final image, I can break open my ancient version of Photoshop and add the title and text and such for Ingram Spark.

I was going to do KDP for everything, but I'm hearing from too many other authors that it's gone nuts. Accounts closed for no reason. Royalties lost. Accusations of plagiarism when dealing with updating their own work. Inability to contact anyone to work out the issues. One author is actually moving all of her books to Smashwords/Digital by Design because it's really hurt her income.

I don't feel like dealing with all that nonsense, so I may shift Carli's Kills back to Spark, too. I never took the ebook off Smashwords, and now won't. If all the self-publishing platforms are going to be crazy, I'd prefer to be with one I basically understand.


No comments: