Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, April 22, 2023

Taking a break

Not doing any writing for a while. I need to separate my head from APoS and let the confusion in it simmer down. So I'm reading A Secret History of the IRA by Ed Moloney. A story that can be told only from the inside. It discusses the lead up to the Peace accords of 1998, that ended 30 years of bloodshed and civil war. I'm not really interested in anything past the hunger strikes, but those and the years preceding the Easter Sunday Agreement are background and told from a more knowledgeable viewpoint than books written at the time.

Moloney's more anti-IRA than neutral, but so far it's a good read. I have others to finish, as well. Something to ground myself in the times and the place, because I felt like I was losing contact with Derry and her ways. I'll also reread Bernadette Devlin's biography, The Price of my Soul, since she was from there and in the middle of it all.

I'm also going to work up a new cover for The Lyons' Den. I'll need to, since I was fool enough to put the price in the barcode, on it, when I first published it and it's down to the point I'm making $0.48 a sale, on it. Just need to come up with something that's as fun as this one was. I'm also thinking of shifting it to KDP in both ebook and paperback. Its sales have dropped, a lot, so maybe that can help.

I'm still leery of Amazon's ways, but it's not like I have a massive seller I'd be offering through them. And I use my own barcodes, so if they get pissy I can just shift it back to Ingram Spark or another self-publishing house. I understand Barnes & Noble offer one, too.

What really matters is getting enough space from APoS to come at it with fresh eyes.

No comments: