Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, July 7, 2023

Soon to be done.

If all goes well, I will have a final draft of APoS-Derry come Monday. Right now it's 350 pages and 136,000 words. I'm going shopping for readers to give me feedback. I am done rewriting it unless something is massively wrong in the structure of character consistency. And of course, my usual typos. I've learned not one of my tricks will keep them from happening, so I ask as many people as possible to read it and point out typos, and that seems to get 90% of them. No two readers ever find all the same ones.

My lack of success with an agent has me thinking I need to publish this book, myself. I'm tempted to do it in a hardcover with dust jacket and look into how best to publicize it. Maybe get a publicist or service to do that; I don't know, yet. Part of me wants to wait till next year to do anything, but I've been at it for so long I just want it done and gone. I don't hate the book but I am ready to move on.

So next comes Houston, which is at about the same level of completion as Derry was when I started heavy on it, then after that is Return, which is about 75% done. I'd like to have it all completed this year, but we'll see how that works out. It took me so damned long with Derry...

My right shoulder and neck are killing me, right now, thanks to me sitting at this desk and using a mouse at arm's length for days on end. Icy Hot and Tylenol work to minimize it, and I've got a setting on my shower head for pulsation, so it should be okay. Looking forward to it all.


No comments: