Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, August 31, 2023

Casual...

Lovely day to laze away. End of the month so did a bit of financial nonsense to figure out where I am...and it's simply the land of Fucked.  Car insurance, apartment insurance, MRI co-pay, dermatology exam, all coming in this month. Nearly $1000. It's the usual nonsense. I think artists are usually born missing the gene that explains money management to them.

I also looked into my problem with the IRS to find nothing has changed and they still have my old address listed even though I sent them a form to update it. I can't find any letter they might have sent me to explain this; according to them, the last one I got was from two years ago.

So I just shrugged and started reading Trust. Hernan Diaz has a nice style in giving background about the Rask family. It may be fun to see where this goes. I like Grant Atherton's style, but his is more basic grammar, spare and focused on forward movement.

While at B&N in Omaha, I almost got a copy of a fancy edition of Madam Bovary, by Flaubert. The opening pages caught me, but it was $24 and had a rather gaudy hardback binding, so figured I'd get a copy at Talking Leaves, here in Buffalo. I'll look into it, tomorrow. I'll need to go out for some things, anyway. Milk, toothpaste, olives, that kind of stuff.

I got lazy and didn't make my enchiladas. I'm feeling kind of grumpy, so it's better I not do anything that makes a mess...and that does. I like reading, but I'm ready to get back to writing.

No comments: