Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, August 17, 2023

So this will be the avatar for Blood Angel's next installment. I'd purchased several photos from Dan Skinner to use but  none were working for me until I did some squirrelly adapting of this image in my ancient photoshop. This wasn't exactly what came up, but it set me on the right path. And the image for the following installment is already settled on...depending on how explicit I want it to be.

I still need to do the proofing. My usual editor is snowed under so I'll just do my thing and deal with it in my usual way. The nice thing is it's an ebook so if I do find typos later...and I will, I know; I've never published anything without some...I can update the file with no trouble.

There's a darkness showing up in this story that's discomforting in its casualness. Mainly dealing with how off-handed many of the deaths referenced in it are. I'm told I'm overly empathetic, so that might be the reason it's bothering me. But am I really? If I can have a murderer raped and killed in the first 15 pages of the story and have not only his body but that of his victim buried without a thought, maybe deep down I'm just a fucking lunatic waiting for the right moment to escape. You never know until you know.

I'm sticking with my schedule for APoS still. Not reading any feedback till after Labor Day, then slamming back into it. That should give me plenty of time to decompress and view it with a bit more critical eye. By that, I mean not tearing myself apart for writing it but checking grammar and consistency and that it's proper in its depiction of the times, in Derry.

Once that's got its polish, I'm hitting the Houston section. I think that one's pretty close to done, already, because I lived in Houston for 8 years so know that town and its attitudes fairly well. Granted, I was there from 1985-1993 while Brendan's period is 1972 (really 1973 due to his mental collapse) to 1981. Still, it should be close enough.

But I haven't looked at it in close to a year so I may be fooling myself.

No comments: