Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Panic time

So I'm rocking along to finish this proofing of BA-The Prussian when I got a message some books I'd ordered had been delivered. I went downstairs to get them from the building office and picked up my mail...and in it was a notice that I owed nearly $380 in back taxes, including late fees and interest!

At first I thought it was a scam, but I went into my account page with the IRS, and there it was, claiming I hadn't paid my taxes for 2020. I freaked. Called the IRS, who hung up on me after following a few voice prompts. And there was nothing in the IRS system to let me contact them by email to ask about this. It was infuriating.

I knew I'd paid everything off, so dug up my receipt from June of last year and it showed my account was down to zero for 2019, 2020 and 2021. I'd received no letters from the IRS claiming this was an issue. Nothing. So I wrote them back and told them I'd paid it, here's a copy of my receipt, so update your records. Then mailed it, certified, so I can prove I sent it. This should prove interesting.

What's really irritating about this is, I use a CPA to do my taxes. So they should be perfect, when submitted. But this is the second problem I've had with a recent return thanks to that office. I may need to find a new CPA. 

That took most of the afternoon. And since I had to go to the PO, I also got a couple things at Tops grocery store and planned to have a chili dog and onion rings at Ted's, a local chain...but there was a line and I wasn't in the mood to stand around so came home and made Gnocchi, instead. It was good...but I still want a chili dog.

Then I focused on BA and got through it. I'll do the linking for table of contents, tomorrow, and maybe even upload it tomorrow evening to see if it's okay. Smashwords is pretty picky about things being just so, as I've found out the hard way a few times. It's now 22,750 words. For all the cutting I did, I added more.

But now it's done and soon to be available, and I'll worry about Book 3 -- Franz later.

No comments: