Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, August 21, 2023

Today was wrongfully busy...

I spent the day prepping for a quick trip to Lincoln, Nebraska, of all places. Never been to that state; it's another one of those places I would never have gone to except for work, like Bermuda and Hong Kong and Boise, Idaho. So I have now had jobs in or lived in 12 countries around the world and 45 of the 50 American states. The only ones left are South Dakota, Montana, Kentucky, Tennessee and Alaska.

It's not a huge job -- collecting boxes of archives to pack into reusable containers for transport to the East Coast -- but logistics-wise this one is difficult. At first, I thought I'd be spending 2 days in Lincoln, which is both the state capitol and a university town (like Austin) but that was growing harder and harder to work around. I'd have had to do absolutely everything on my own, and some aspects of setting up the reusable containers requires two people.

Instead, we're working everything out of Omaha. We found a trucker up there, so I'll be shifting back there after the pickup and do my thing at the trucker's warehouse. Like I did in Hartford, the beginning of the month. Fly out the next morning. Just time enough to hit the gift shop in the airport. But...they do have Panda Express.

So I want to get BA-The Prussian up and running on Smashwords before I go. I'm halfway done proofing it. I shifted it into 24 point font and that's helped me see a number of issues, like missing periods and double commas and words that need another letter in them to make sense. I also used the wrong word a few times, which might cause confusion, and I still need to shift the double-dashes to an em-dash.

If I focus on it, tomorrow, I should be done and ready to link the chapter headings to the table of contents by Wednesday. Once that's done, it's upload and see how Smashwords likes it.

No comments: