Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Forced absence...

The wifi went out in my area, on the 8th, and when it was restored apparently it messed up a couple of wires that connected my power source to the main outlet. Not just in my apartment but 4 or 5 others. So I didn't have internet service except on my phone until today.

I could use my phone's hotspot for a little while but it racked up the usage so I had to minimize it. It's funny, but I hadn't really understood how dependent I am on the internet till I didn't have access to it unless I went to a place that offered it, for free.

That meant McDonald's. I think I'm Big Mac'd out. But that meant research was out of the question. Fortunately, I still have a physical copy of a dictionary, so word spelling and definition weren't hurt.

The whole escapade of getting the repairs done is worthy of a Russian novel; man caught in his fate. Once the main service was restored and I found I still didn't have access, I contacted Verizon and went through their phone prompts and did a lot of back and forth with a techie before they agreed to have someone come out on Saturday to look into it. Supposed to be here between 12:30 and 2:30. Showed up at 5pm. And he's the one who noticed the problem with the wires. But he had to get into a locked room to handle it and the maintenance people aren't here on weekends. So he set up a new appointment for Monday.

That got changed to Tuesday, 8am-noon.

At 11am Tuesday it got changed to 10 am today. They showed up at 10:30. Took 'em 15 minutes to fix it. I've called Verizon and asked for a partial credit on what I paid for the month. They say they will once the ticket's been closed. Apparently there were still 2 more apartments to deal with.

So I've been catching up all day. I didn't have access to my printer without wifi, so that's nice to have back. At least I made myself spend the last 8 days working on Blood Angel's 2nd part...which has broken into 3 sections, each of which will be published separately. Section One/The Prussian is done and is 22,000+ words; I just need to do a proofing of it and complete the ebook setup for it to be ready. Oh, and I have to work up the avatar for it. That's going to be a pain. The image I wanted to use works better for Section Two, so I have to reimagine it.

I'll try and get all this done, tomorrow, since I'm doing the doctor on Friday and may be prepping for a trip to Lincoln, Nebraska for the end of the month. I've never been to Nebraska; should be interesting.

No comments: