Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

APoS Publicity

Since APoS-Derry is going to be at the London Book Fair, next month, I've been trying to get the word out to people I know in the UK, in case they'd like to drop by to check it out. Thing is, all my friends there are connected to the antiquarian book trade and wouldn't be interested in offering a new book in their shops.

As for regular book shops, I already have a reputation with W H Smith over HTRASG so the only book of mine they're willing to carry is The Vanishing of Owen Taylor, in hardcover. Waterstones offers the book in their catalogue, for 26.99GBP, but that's still a special order.

I do like having control over how the book turned out, and price. And it's easily ordered through any book store that is linked into Ingram's Catalogue. But I'd like to broaden the book's reach. It's just, the only way to get it into book stores is to be willing to accept returns, and Ingram fucks the author over, on those. You wind up owing more than you'd make on the book. So I designate no returns on everything and give a 55% discount as an incentive.

I'm talking with BookLife about joining a banner ad in the London Book Fair edition of Publishers Weekly, which ain't cheap...and I'm already past my budget for advertising. Guess I'll see what happens, once they get back to me.

Got more done on NWFO. The book is now over 140,000 words...and I'm only just past the halfway mark in the rewrite. Brendan has his Montessa and is becoming close friends with Jeremy. He's also got a new job at an auto repair shop that deals in UK and European models. Now he's about to meet Evangelyne and get his life turned upside down.

Again.

No comments: