Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, February 12, 2024

Ch-ch-ch-changes coming...

I'm already getting ideas on how to better New World For Old. Make it move even revolve around Brendan in ways that add to his journey rather than just happen. For example, he goes punk for a little while in the late 70s but then starts in restoring that Peugeot and slowly regains a sense of himself, and equilibrium. Currently, I have him stop because it's grown boring, to him. This would work a lot better.

There are a couple of other moments to rework, like the reason he and Evangelyne break up in such a brutal fashion. And I'd forgotten to put in a moment where Mairead explains to Bren how he was spirited out of Ireland, and why. Right now, I think it's going to be because of his father, whom he's hated for years...but we'll see what comes up.

I was planning to deal with that in Book Three--Home Not Home--but now think it best to start the thought process rolling on it. There's always been some mystery about his father's past, and this may just deepen it, for him. Leading him to want to find out more in HNH.

I've bought into an ad for APoS-Derry. To be part of a Publishers Weekly deal for The London Book Fair, and made certain they have the correct cover and information for it. I'm reminded of how much money I sank into David Martin, some years ago, including to have the book illustrated by a children's book artist, and am still very much in the red. So I've gone as far as I can, financially.

And I have to keep some in reserve for when NWFO comes out, later in the year.

No comments: