Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, February 11, 2024

Done...

Draft 5 of A Place of Safety-New World For Old is complete. Now I only have 44 drafts left to do to make it good enough to start thinking about publishing.

There are sections I know are not really ready, yet, and I added a bit towards the end about Brendan using the partial restoration of an old Peugeot 404 Cabriolet in exchange for parts to fix his Montessa motorbike, so that needs some smoothing over, as well.

But that's how Brendan recenters himself--repairing things. He doesn't bring the car back to pristine condition; it's at a junk yard and the owner wants to sell it to a guy who deals in Peugeots, out in California. He just wants it in working order. And that's what Brendan does over the next year, year and a half. I need to check my timeframe to see how that works. Because it's during 1980 and he's about to be called home due to his mother's illness.

So right now, it's now at 143,131 words and 34 chapters. There are a couple of really long ones I'm thinking of breaking in half, but we'll see what happens on the next pass. Which I'm not diving into till later in the week. I'm helping with paperwork for the return of the book fair dealers from San Francisco and I'm doing taxes with my CPA Wednesday evening. Looking forward to that...not.

I realized I made an error in my acknowledgements on the HB of APoS-Derry. I inadvertently left out one of my editors/proofreaders. Debating on whether or not to update it. It won't cost anything, but I've sold several copies. I could always say those are rare and worth more...maybe.

No comments: