Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, February 1, 2024

Eating out...

I think I'm going to start living off frozen dinners and the occasional meal I make for myself. I worked till 5pm, today, so decided to have ribs at Chili's before heading home. Got chips and salsa...for $7. Decided to be all healthy and substituted a salad for the fries, for a buck extra. Asked to have it served first; got served with the meal. By the time I was settling into the ribs, I wasn't hungry, anymore. So I brought them home.

That meal-for-one cost me $40, and no beer; just a soda. Three tacos and a drink, yesterday, cost $12 at Taco Bell. An enchilada dinner at the one halfway decent Mexican food restaurant in this city is $30, without a beer. I can make my own meals in the timeframe I want, even using a microwave, in less time than it takes me to even get to the damn restaurant.

I'm not good at cooking steaks; they always come out tough. But I can make a pot roast that falls apart in your mouth and tastes better than anything at Applebee's. So I'm staying in, from now on.

Which is a good thing. It'll help me focus on APoS-NWFO and the massive rewriting I'm undertaking. Looks like I'm cutting three pages of chapters 10 and 11. Maybe more.

This section has Brendan and Scott in the pool a few days before Scott leaves for UT-Austin, talking about Corll and Henley and Brooks, and how they were killing kids they'd known all their lives, and when it becomes too intense for Brendan to remember, he dips into the pool and holds his breath as long as he can.

When Scott learns Brendan's never been to a gay bar, he all but drags him to one in the Montrose area of Houston...and almost winds up being taken advantage of. But Brendan has no trouble making friends with a guy names Everett, who becomes an important part of the whole story, and they protect Scott.

But this solidifies Brendan's belief his cousin is an immature brat and not one to be trusted.

No comments: