Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Panic passed by...

Turned out there is a switch somewhere deep in my HD controls that must be on for my files to show up on my desktop. Somehow, I have no idea how and neither did Cameron, the tech guy I was dealing with at the Apple store, but that switch turned off. Once he turned it back on, everything appeared on my desktop. I could have kissed him...

...And actually would not have minded doing that. He was adorable.

So...all I had to do was shut down everything, reboot, and my sync was back in regular mode. He thinks it might have been a glitch in the Cloud...maybe...but honestly has no explanation. And I know it wasn't me because I didn't even know the damn thing existed, and I wouldn't be able to find it, again, I'm sure.

One good thing about this chaotic series of events? I realized Brendan wouldn't give a shit about the Houston mass murders or try to figure out why they happened. He's still getting himself back to normal after his mental disconnect and has dealt with just as bad in Derry. He knows that even with close friends, something can happen to make you willing to hurt people you've known for years.

Like with Billy, his Protestant mate. Brendan caught him helping get piles of stones and cudgels ready to attack marchers at Burntollet Bridge in January 1969. He knew Brendan's brother, Eamonn, was on the march but was still there handing out tea with a smile, and may have helped send Eamonn to the hospital.

Same for Colm and Paidrig, both of them Brendan's friends for years. Colm oversaw Paidrig being punished for a minimal slight, on orders from PIRA...and Danny kept Brendan from trying to stop it.

So Brendan would already know--people will turn against each other in a heartbeat, if they feel it's right. It would be Scott all worrying about it and Brendan shaking his head at Scott's innocence. No wonder I couldn't get it to sit right.

Which means a good amount of work is getting cut...as usual...

No comments: