Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Leapfrog...

I moved on to the next chapter in APoS-NWFO and have gotten to about halfway through this rewrite. Brendan's bought his Montessa, and his attitude has geared more to Whatever happens happens. His Aunt and Uncle aren't pleased about it, but he doesn't care.

I noticed I've lost contact with his family's goings-on in Derry. He'd been reading letters sent to Aunt Mari by Mairead, who was quietly letting Bren know about what was happening -- Eamonn arrested for arms smuggling; Ma allowing a phone to be installed so she can get calls from Eamonn; updates on Rhuari, Maeve and Kieran; dealing with ways for Mai to pay for it without going with the Royal Mail; those kinds of things.

At the moment, since there's tension between him and his aunt it's understandable he doesn't get access to the letters she receives. He's feeling more and more like a prisoner rather than a relative who's visiting, but he doesn't know how to go about finding out the complete truth of his situation.

I halfway think it should be explained to him by Aunt Mari...explicit and in more depth. He knows enough to keep casual and he's already been on the stand-offish side so doesn't tell people much about himself. The closest he's come to opening up is to Everett, a gay man he met at that gay bar, and who helped him and Scott out of a bad situation...and then only said as much as was needed.

It does still feel a bit on the superficial side, but this is getting me back in touch with the full story. I'm nowhere near done with it, yet...but soon enough.

FWIW, I got two email notices today--Avis did not find my keys and Ingram has printed the copies of APoS-Derry I'd ordered and will ship them out, tomorrow. How nice.

No comments: