Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Book fair exhibition...

APoS-Derry is going to be at the London Book Fair 12-14 March, at Olympia Hall. I bit the bullet and paid to have it shown there along with other books the The Reading Glass Book Shop is taking. I now have to get 10 copies to them, so we'll see how it goes. 

It almost didn't happen. While I was setting everything up with them, my Mac email suddenly stopped working and all of my files vanished. Completely. I managed to finish with RGB using my gmail then spent hours trying to figure out where everything went. It was like I'd signed out from the server, but could not figure out if that was the issue or how to sign back in.

To say I freaked would be an understatement. I tried clicking on files in my Recents link and got an error message that the file was unavailable. I'd lost all the work I'd done on APoS-Houston, this month. 300+ pages. Not to mention all the files of APoS-Derry.

I did the whole reboot. Then full shut down and start, again. And found it was only the Mac parts of the laptop that were having issues. I could still get gmail and the Caladex emails, but Mac was silent except to tell me it wasn't syncing, and it was even affecting my phone.

I called Apple Support, since my MacBook Air is still under warranty, and got cut off three times. So finally I shut everything down and headed over to the Apple store to see if someone there might have an idea of what the issue could be. No luck; they were just as confused. I have an appointment in the morning with one of their tech folk, so we'll see what happens.

Now here's where it gets weird. Once the laptop was shut down and in my satchel, my phone suddenly went back in sync, totally. That made me wonder if it was a Mac problem. What added to my certainty was, when I got home and opened the laptop up to deal with some work emails...a sub-folder appeared in iCloud Drive, labeled Desktop. My desktop link still had nothing on it. The Recents link still had the error messages. But that Desktop folder had everything in it!

I plugged in my external hard drive and saved it all. I'm still keeping the appointment. I want to know WTF happened.

No comments: