Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, January 13, 2024

Another road trip

Currently in New Baltimore, NY at a BW just off the 87. Got it on points, and happily so. Free breakfast till 10am and checkout at eleven. Looking forward to it.

It's good I left for this job, today, because Buffalo is now under a travel ban, probably through Sunday. It was kind of a rushed exit, on my part, since snow and wind were slamming me as I loaded the SUV. Took me 6 hours to get this far; still have another 2 hours to my hotel in Tarrytown, but I had begun to zone so this was a good stopping point.

Part of what made this trip so tiring was I didn't speed. The limit is 65 but usually I go 72, which doesn't seen like a big difference but, psychologically, it is. Albany is 290 miles from Buffalo and normally a four hour drive, for me. But the only time I usually go through there is when I'm en route to Hartford, New Haven or Boston.

Heading for NYC and area, I usually turn down the 81 at Syracuse, swing through Binghamton and Scranton to the 380 and finally the 80 into the city. It's shorter and faster. But this trip is into an area I haven't been through, before, so it just seemed to take forever.

I had a weird little time/space/continuum happen about an hour after I hit the road. I looked at my phone and it said the time was 11:54. I drove and drove then looked at my phone expecting it to be half an hour later...and it was only 5 minutes. The next time I looked, only another 5 minutes had passed. THEN...the next time I looked at the clock, it was half an hour later, but seemed like no time had passed.

Maybe it was because I didn't get ahead of the storm till after Rochester, which is usually an hour's drive but this time seemed like an hour and forty-five minutes.

Doesn't matter. I got work done on chapter one of APoS-NWFO, tonight, expanding upon Brendan's confusion as re returns to consciousness. I feel good.

No comments: