Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, January 25, 2024

Shit happens, I guess...

Still locked on Brendan's existentialistic freak out over nearly being taken to Dean Corll's house to be raped and killed. He's connecting it to how similar the arbitrariness of the murders compares to the Troubles in Derry. A boy goes out to a party with friends and never comes home. Someone goes to a bar for a pint and their life is over. Be it by a bomb, paramilitary group taking them out, or like his father, who was killed for the fun of it.

This image is from Nigel Rolfe's Lament, 1992, intended as a donation to the city and her people through a whole series of performance and installation works.

What I have written is still pretty messy and all over the place, like his thoughts are. It needs to be clearer and more succinct for the reader to at least begin to follow. The rest of the book will be reflecting this sudden shift in his...in his psyche? Does it really fit with that?

Something else that popped up is how the B-girls, Bernadette and Brandi, pretty much ignore the major news about the mass murder in Houston...except to suggest those boys were killed because they were poor and not very smart. Brendan quickly shuts them down with a snarl of "Don't." I don't know where that came from, but it fits those self-involved princesses.

Also in the world of shit happens, I took my last trip out to Avis at the Buffalo Airport...and learned that SUV I'd turned in was rented one-way to La Guardia. The day after I turned it in. It was never being returned to BUF. I was supposed to file a claim with the Avis at LGA to get the car searched, not with BUF. And no one bothered to mention this to me till today. Plus, they were really surprised their manager hadn't responded to me...in the last 9 fucking days of me trying to contact him.

I managed to keep myself calm and leave. But I think I may shift my rentals away from them. I only use Avis because Caladex has a business account with them. I'm going into the office, tomorrow, and may suggest we also get one set up with Enterprise.

No comments: