Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Down, down, down...

Got my stitches out. The scar starts at that little bump and goes straight down. Can barely see where they cut into me, half because I really need to shave. I've got a crap beard that is as patchy as a mange-ridden cat's pelt but harder to see.

Still it's healing good. The NP said all I need to do is put a little Vaseline on it to protect it, now. The face is from being on this earth a whole 71 years. Vaseline won't help that.

Blew off the enchiladas and had slices of pizza, afterwards. Don't know why; just...did. Then I got to the shop and turned over my car, and as I waited I dealt with some irritating aspects of the upcoming job. Like emails responding to my questions that still don't provide definitive answers to them. At least I got photos and what I think is a complete list. 71 titles.

Turns out my car is getting old and will need about $1200 in repairs. Brake linings, new tires, shock absorbers, thermostat housing. All of which are correct; I've had those tires for years, and the last time I had the brakes handled was...when I lived in San Antonio with my mother? Damn, not sure, but it has been a long, long time. The rest are original equipment, so finally wearing out after 26 years.

My little Civic's been a damn good car, and I've done my best to take care of it. I can't afford a new one, especially since this bullshit will kick me even deeper into debt. I guess my hopes of paying it down were silly. I currently owe more than I make in a year from SSI and Caladex.

I was getting it down until Covid hit and I went onto unemployment. I've tried to keep it from spiraling up, and did manage to pay my Visa off as well as all back taxes, but it's exploded again. Mainly because I was sending money to my brother to keep him off the street. He's about to get early SSI so that will remove that expense.

I'm not sorry I helped him, but I'll never get out of debt. I guess all I can hope to do is maintain till I die. I need to keep my credit good; it comes in handy when dealing with the needs of APoS and other books, in publishing.

And when going on jobs. Can't book a flight, rent a car or get a hotel room without a Visa or Mastercard; many places will not accept debit cards, anymore. Too many issues. Something of a trap.

Too bad my books don't make a lot of money...but I've never been able to write like Stephen King. I am what I am.

No comments: