Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Insanity...

Tried to upload this but not having much effect. But this is today's weather...all day.

I'm getting old. Driving down and back between Buffalo and Tarrytown wore me out. The job, itself, was fairly easy. 117 volumes, in the end, and some of them really lovely. I had all the materials I needed, just. Left a little paper and a couple of unbuilt boxes with the client, at his request, so only brought back a roll of bubble wrap.

I took toll roads all the way there and back instead of hopping off at Syracuse, using the 390 and 17/86, and going through Binghamton. It's a bit longer and increases the toll cost, but it felt better, to me. The drive back was slow due to the weather that had been in Buffalo on Sunday finally making itself known along the Hudson Valley. And I mean all the way back up the 87 onto the 90 and nearly to Syracuse. Saw 2 jack-knifed rigs in the Southbound lanes of the 87, with traffic backed up for miles, so didn't hit faster than 50 all the way to Utica.

I'd thought I might break the drive up and do half of it today, but something told me just go. So I did. Left Tarrytown about 1:15 and got in about 9:30. And my video shows it was a good idea. Transferred everything from the SUV to my car, in the parking lot, and got home about 10:30.

The only truly bad point about this trip is, I lost my keys—apartment and office. I parked the SUV behind behind my car in long-term parking, dug my keys out of my backpack and put them on the dashboard. Passenger side. I’d brought my shovel on the trip, just in case, so dug my car out of the snow then went to get my keys and they weren’t on there.

I looked everywhere – in the SUV, in my bags, in the snow around the SUV, nothing. And no one had come around, at all. I was tired and cold and figured they’d fallen into one of the open bags I had on the passenger floor and I was just not seeing them in the mess. So I used a spare key I keep in my wallet to open the car up. I also stashed a set of house keys in my car, in case I ever lock myself out. For once my paranoia about myself paid off.

I was able to shift everything over to the trunk and turn the SUV in. After I looked through it, again. And still didn’t see my keys. I took the shuttle back to my car and looked around, again, but no keys. So drove home and dumped out everything...

And still no keys! Checked my trunk, today. No keys. I have no idea where they went. I drove back to the parking spot in Long-term (and yes, it was just like you see in my little video, all the way) but it was too windy and snowy for me to find anything.

I’m hoping I just missed them in that SUV. Avis had already rented it out, till Sunday, so we’re checking it in more detail when it returns. Which put me in a foul mood, the rest of today.

Nothing can be easy, can it?

No comments: