Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Broke but not broken...

Well, I've done as much as I can to get APoS-Derry out there, and I will see over the next two months if it's done any good. You never know until it happens, do you? I took the dive and bought a Kirkus Review, which won't be up till the end of March, or so. And they say they will be brutally honest, so if I don't want anyone to see it, I can keep it hidden.

Not sure what to think of that.

I've had brutally negative reviews of my books, before, and some were for silly reasons. The Lyons' Den got a single star from a couple of people and torn apart because one hated my misuse of grammar and another refused to read past a point where she claimed I didn't describe snow correctly. The Alice '65 was hurt by someone who said I used too many commas.

As for my gay erotica...ooooh, baby. I've been told more than once I should never be allowed to write, again. Anything. Especially something like How to Rape a Straight Guy...which has actually been banned in paperback.

I've also gotten good ones, and some excellent, so it balances out. I learned long ago you can't please everybody and there are some people out there who will trash your work just to make themselves feel better. On one occasion, I had a guy pick apart a script I'd written, line by line, to show me how it should have been done. Things like that are easy to handle.

And I do have an excellent review from BookLife. Which is also posted in Publishers Weekly. But I don't know how I'll react to Kirkus if they dump on Brendan's story. It makes me nervous, gotta admit. But I will not hide it if it's bad. No way. That's cowardly. Besides, well-know authors have been trashed by major reviewers, as well.

Maybe I'll wind up in august company.

No comments: