Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, December 16, 2023

Consistently inconsistent...

Being my usual self, I pulled up BA-Franz to work on...and promptly shifted to read more of APoS-New World For Old. Got through the point where Brendan is, effectively running away from home for the second time. This happens after he's kidnapped from outside The Colonel's bar, where he used to work, and brutalized by some racists over having a girlfriend who's not white. He figures out his uncle knew what was going to happen and said nothing because he thinks Brendan needs to be taught a lesson about how he needs to behave, in Houston.

I'd made changes to the story in the 4th draft that I didn't remember, and which fit in better with what happens in Derry. Mirroring, not repeating. And having a read-through done before heading to San Antonio would be very helpful. Bring the story back to mind so my brain can begin working on it.

You see, I'd pulled up and printed the character outline of BA and started making notes for Franz, but realized I needed to work it out better so the story has some continuity. I'm starting with Léonidès stating he's been refused permission to turn Franz into another Blood Angel because the Oiym are not comfortable with him. They sense his beauty hides a viciousness they don't want out and about in the world. It will draw too much attention to the existence of vampires.

But as noted, when Leon tries to kill Franz, he hesitates and the man shifts into becoming a Blood Angel, and the Oiym's fears are proven to be well-founded. I know the final showdown between the two is going to be in the Vatican, which was not yet a city-state in the middle of Rome. Not sure what that's going to wind up as, but it'll be fun.

After all, the Catholic Church is really nothing more than an acceptable version of a vampire organization. Isn't it?

No comments: