Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, December 9, 2023

Structurally sound

Digging through APoS-New World For Old is showing me that I'm skating through the story, so the next drafts are for deepening the characters and their meaning in events. What I have right now is just the foundation of the story, with points noted here and there to remind me of what needs to be looked into.

I've read through to the point where Brendan meets Evangelyne and is about to embark on a relationship that has disastrous results. I've also come up with another possible explanation for Brendan's disappearance from Derry -- that he was arrested and is being held by the British in a secret place. Which sounds ridiculous, but it mitigates the prevalent rumor that he was executed by the IRA and buried in an unmarked grave, and conspiracies are often preferred to the truth.

Part of the reason for that shift is how Eamonn, having been arrested for munitions running, is becoming a good communicator for PIRA in the H-Block prison cells. People thinking they had his brother killed for messing up an operation, the indication being he was passing information to the British through Joanna, that would hurt Eamonn's reputation. So up comes this new suggestion and a flat out denial from PIRA that they killed Brendan.

I don't know if that will really work within the story, yet, but it's another step closer to solidifying the fact that his new life is not connected to his old one except through his aunt and uncle, and they are hard as nails about not releasing information about it.

Did a lot of this in the airport while waiting for my plane. I'd thought about going to the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, but found I was trying to talk myself into it. Like it would make some kind of difference in my life. Reality is, it would remind me of how I failed in that endeavor, so focused on reading through APoS-2. And I'm happier for it. This is my direction in life, now, not movies.

No comments: