Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, March 19, 2022

Alone time can work...

I dropped all writing for a few days and focused on getting ready for a packing job, next week, as well as preliminary paperwork for the New York Book Fair next month. Not to mention I'm also moving in April, so...lots to do.

I finally came back to the printout of Carli's Kills with a clarity that helped me do another red pen edit. I expanded on a midnight motorcycle ride taken by Carli, Zeke and Loki, trying to make it as romantic and poetic as possible without actually waxing poetical. I also cut things that were superfluous -- like an underground cave where the Cantina stored beer -- and trimmed back some of the repetitiveness of Carli's inner musings. It's still long, but when I input these changes...well, I hope it will make sense.

The ending is still a bit too easy. Maybe too quick. Sort of ABC. But it works, so I'm not sure if the issue is that it's wrong or if I'm just being picky. I don't want to drag things out just to pad the action; I hate that. But I have been told in a couple of books I rushed the ending or didn't go deep enough, so I don't want that, either. Right now, I'm waiting till I get done inputting before I decide what to do.

Next week is a packing job, through Thursday or Friday, so not much will be done, writing wise. It'll be a physical job so I'm thinking I'll take some DVDs to watch, afterwards. The area's on the rural side; not a lot of places to have dinner, and I just can't handle theater-going, right now. Not because of Covid (tho' that is still a concern) but so damn many movies are over 2 hours long, not counting previews and ads, my bladder don't hold out. And I absolutely HATE leaving in the middle of a movie to take a piss...so I wait till I can stream it or get it at RedBox.

It's the old man in me.

No comments: