Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, March 13, 2022

WTF is wrong with me?

I just slammed into another brick wall with Carli's Kills, dealing with the timeline. What's happening during this time and why aren't they doing anything about it, kind of thing. This is just supposed to be a fun little story of female empowerment and non-moralistic murdering joy...and I'm locked in my usual BUT IT HAS TO MAKE PERFECT SENSE attitude and cannot get around it. Like an obsessive-compulsive quirk in my psyche or something.

I seriously wonder if I'm OCD. Because I cannot let go of this story until it's right, and I cannot just scoot past the parts that don't work for me but that no one else will probably give a damn about. That sort of attitude drives me crazy in films or TV shows I see...like it did with YOU, to the point I cannot watch the rest of that thing.


It may be something that's been developing slowly, since I remember even though I'd get irritated about films that ignore simple physics I could still enjoy them. But now? North by Northwest? How can a crop duster crash into an oil truck but not knock it off the road? Or in Foreign Correspondent, when a plane is crashing towards the ocean why does everyone rush to get the to back of the fuselage before it hits so they won't get crushed by the water? Both ignore the laws of centrifugal force and simple gravity.

It must be something that's been growing in me, because the first time I saw Vertigo I was swept away by its beauty and romantic suspense. Now the only way I can accept its ridiculous storyline is if I see it as a dead man's dream, because it does not make one damn bit of logical sense. So I guess I'm just falling into fanaticism and ridiculousness.

No comments: