Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, July 25, 2024

Breakthrough?

So...last night (actually 3am, this morning) I was about to lie down to sleep when an idea hit me for the opening of Blood Angel-Franz. I have a journal I keep next to the bed and usually write in it before I settle in, so I grabbed it intending to just write the idea down...and 20 minutes later had three pages filled in.

Léonidès wants to turn a young Prussian soldier who also has Blood Angel lineage into his mate, but he needs permission from the Oiym council, and they refuse him. Which is really galling to him, because he's the one who got the council to issue rules and limitations on the vampire world so as to protect themselves from discovery.

Now the council is en-route to see him and he's afraid they mean to kill Franz, for fear he knows to much about them. I input that and added more, and now have 2700 words leading into the story. It's not often that happens, but when it does sleep becomes secondary. I didn't settle till around 4am.

I think this image will be the cover. Dan skinner worked it up for me some time ago...but there's another I'm thinking of, that he also did. I'll decide later.

Cutting into this was needing to work up a couple of plans for packing jobs, both in the UK. That's on top of the one already set up. I wouldn't mind going there and staying a couple of weeks, even though one has already started to turn into a nightmare. But it's in London so it'd be worth it.

I'd thought for a bit about publishing APoS-NWFO early, in ebook. It's set to go in that format; I'm just waiting for a second review to come in to put on the back cover of the hardback, so that would work best coming out the 13th of August...or the 20th.

I added a note to the title page that this is continued from APoS-Derry, so maybe that will clue people in. I don't like how crowded the front cover looks with me adding something like volume 2 or continued to the the title and besides, dust jackets can vanish and thumbnails for online postings have to be as clear and clean as possible.


No comments: