Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, July 28, 2024

Fitting it in...

I found a spot to put in Brendan learning a story his father told was recorded on tape not long before he was killed. He joins Maeve at a meeting in the Guildhall and a Protestant attendee, thinking he's an American Jew, secretly tells Brendan some disparaging things about the drunks of the Bogside.

Always weaving tales. Lies to make their history seem greater than it truly was. That kind of thing. He mentions Ulster University at Coleraine was actually recording them to put in a book of mythology, all but saying it was a waste of time and money.

It's going to be quite interesting, to pull this off and it not seem staged or set-up. I suppose I could work it through Magee College in Derry, but Coleraine feels like it makes more sense.

It would have been something like a poke in the eye, for them to do those recordings. Because it was a newly established campus. Derry had tried for years to set up a university using Magee's campus instead of this whole new one in a Protestant town.

Of course, the Protestants didn't want it to be anywhere else, so that's what happened. A lot of people were very angry.

This section is now up over 80,000 words and getting longer, despite me cutting out bits that seem repetitive. Maybe it'll wind up at 100,000 words instead of 140,000+, like the first two.

I've uploaded the ebook of New World For Old but it won't be released till my birthday. And I'm shifting the hardback to August 20th. Gives me time to check out a proof copy once everything's in place.

No comments: