Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, December 23, 2021

Chaos extended...

Nothing done. Wheels spinning in the mud. Going nowhere. Finally gave in and watched Gosford Park, for the umpteenth time. It's one of my go-to movies. I also bought the new 007 and need to pick it up at B&N, tomorrow, preferably by noon since it's Christmas Eve and the whole damn city's going to be nuts.

GP's Synopsis, via IMDb.com:

Set in the 1930s, the story takes place in an old-fashioned English country house where a weekend shooting party is underway. The story centers on the McCordle family, particularly the man of the house, Sir William McCordle (Sir Michael Gambon). Getting on in years, William has become a benefactor to many of his relatives and friends. As the weekend goes on, secrets are revealed, and it seems that everyone, above stairs and below, wants a piece of William and his money, but how far will they go to get it?


This is one of my comfort movies, like The Big Sleep and Shakespeare in Love and Topsy-Turvy. A story I can come back to over and over and still enjoy. Robert Altman was robbed at the Oscars, that year...giving it to Ron Howard! Fucking OPIE! A journeyman director. Gag. I stopped paying attention to the awards or critics choices or even screenwriting classes, after that.

But that's the problem with awards; they rarely go to the one who deserves it. For example, I actually got angry when Sidney Pollack was given the directing Oscar for Out of Africa instead of Akira Kurosawa for Ran.

I also indulged myself in too much DDP, tortilla chips and Fritos bean dip as I watched. Not at all good this late, but it all made me feel a lot better. I'm not sure why I'm in this period of stasis except it has something to do with how Carli's Kills keeps blowing up on me, no matter what I do, and I want to be done with it.

Drives me nuts when this happens.

No comments: