Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, December 12, 2021

Do Psycho Killers idolize anyone?

I'm seriously wondering, because Carli is, in effect, a psycho killer. She starts out pushing a woman off a 25 story balcony, in the book, and butchers 3 men a few days later.. I've gone this one bit where she approaches Zeke for the first time, but his dog, Loki, keeps her away. Suggesting she'd have killed and butchered him, as well...but that moment...being forced to backtrack...gives her enough pause to where she begins to feel something for him. And lets herself start to obsess over him.

Zeke's an amputee, like Alex Minsky is, but I wonder if Carli even bothers noticing that. If maybe she's picturing him perfect in her mind's eye. Like this is him. A side of beef that looks very tasty.

Of course, I'm idolizing Alex, myself. What I see is a lovely man who did well with the hand life dealt him. Built himself up. Got his tattoos to make his skin his own, again, instead of that blast's. But I've never met him, so have no idea what he's really like. I just know, down deep, he's not an asshole.

There were occasions, when I was working at Book Soup, where I'd have to deal with Hollywood celebrities. And for the most part they were pretty basic. Sophia Loren came to the newsstand, when I was there, to pick up newspapers for her husband, Carlo Ponti, and was very businesslike. Jamie Lee Curtis and Gene Hackman got piles of art books and were extremely polite, but would not look straight at you. Winona Ryder came in and acted like you were unworthy of attention. But none of them ever struck me as simply decent human beings. They were more like constructs.

Keanu Reeves, however, always struck me as a sincerely pleasant guy, when he came in. I only dealt with him once, face to face., and that was the time it was cemented in my mind that I was right about him. This wasn't long after Speed came out, and it was cold and wet, for LA. And he was on his motorcycle. As he entered the store, two Japanese girls were exiting. They recognized him, of course, and stayed outside the store to watch him pile up a stack of philosophy books.

Book Soup's front is all windows with books set up at the base, so you can see into the store. As Keanu walked up and down the aisles, those two girls followed him, outside. Ignoring the drizzly rain. When he was done, I charged them to his account for delivery to his hotel, and he exited.

One of the girls scurried up to him, touched his arm and held up a camera, her face a complete question. He grinned, opened his arms, and let each girl take a photo with him. Then thanked them and left. Took a total of 30 seconds, but those girls bounced around for 5 minutes, overjoyed.

Somehow, I get the feeling Alex is that kind of guy. And that's what I want Zeke to be. Question is, will Zeke go along with it?

No comments: