Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, December 4, 2021

Head to brick wall...

The processes of a writer never make any sense to anyone but the writer. It took me till after six, today, to finally figure out the next step for Carli's Kills and come to terms with the ending that the story demands. This included me writing some dark poetry on my tumblr page and reminding myself every hour on the hour that I have to do what the story wants or it will not be happy.

I finally understood I need Carli to be making plans for her and Zeke, even though they've only been together one night. And even though she's lying to him and keeping secret the fact that she's killed three of his friends. Quite viciously, too. But she's begun to back away from her thirst for vengeance and is seeing she probably did something that cannot be excused.

Shit...why am I trying to make this into a Shakespearean tragedy? It doesn't rise to those standards. What was that definition I read about tragedy once? Something like...A hero brought down by their own flaws? I looked it up to find:

What are the characteristics of Greek classical tragedy?

  • tragic hero. at the center of a tragedy is its hero, the main character, or protagonist.
  • tragic flaw. an error in judgement or a weakness in character such as pride or arrogance (helps bring about the hero's downfall)
  • Catastrophe.
  • Chorus.
  • Central Belief: fate.

I dunno about this...

No comments: