Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, December 18, 2021

Well, time to build a bridge...

What's funny is, it will be to an ending I wrote but no longer fits with the narrative. I'm closing in on 66,000 words and am at at the point where all hell is due to break loose...and I know I'll get close to 70K before I'm done. 

Maybe.

I'm not really happy with the direction it's taken. Suddenly, everything's gone in bizarre directions and I'm not sure what it all means...or how it will wind up. What used to be a clear, simple, straightforward screenplay is suddenly chaotic in the extreme.

And yet, it's not. It's unfolding in a logical way that just veers close to chaos and is forcing me to come up with moments to fit the scenario it's building. I've now got a bomb going off. A female sheriff about to make a major pass at Zeke. A proposition. The Arizona State's Attorney General involved. The FBI. A dangerous ex-con. The Arizona legislature. A drone being chased by hawks that think it might be dinner. Tire tracks in arroyos.

It's like I'm on the edge of letting the story go wild but still holding back in hopes of it making sense. I guess all I can do, right now, is finish this draft and then see what the fuck it is I just wrote. There ain't no tellin', no more.

But whine as I might, I am sort of enjoying the sense of anarchy about it...even if it is taking so damn long to write.

No comments: