Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, December 25, 2021

Time for desperate measures?

I'm still locked in place on Carli's Kills, so if something doesn't break through, tomorrow, I'm heading across the street and getting a shot of bourbon or cognac. See if that helps. My own little version of a reboot, I guess. Except I rarely do it. I don't drink that much. A beer with dinner, sometimes. Occasional wine. But 99% of the time it's DDP or hot tea. I'm very low-key on that.

Part of the reason is, I once got so drunk I blacked out. It was in college, and I was working nights at a restaurant on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. After a rough evening, one of the waiters and I decided to see who could drink whom under the table. After 6 or 7 or 10 straight shots of vodka for me, with him doing scotch, we called it a draw.

I was closing, so I made sure everything looked great for the next day. Let out the dishwasher. Locked the door and made it to the ladies room before I hurled. I don't remember a thing after that until I woke up in my own bed, undressed, the next morning. Worst hangover ever. Probably alcohol poisoning. 

But if that wasn't bad enough, my car was parked in its spot by the front door. Very neatly parked. I had driven home like that. I could have killed somebody or myself. Freaked the holy hell out of me, so I cut it. Haven't touched vodka, since.

The closest I came to repeating it was when I was having trouble with a script, Find Ray T, many years ago. So I bought a six-pack of Corona...went through it in a weekend, so got another...and wrote the first draft of that script in 8 days. Buzzed the entire time, but not ever quite drunk. Fastest I've ever done it. And the structure of the script has stayed the same, ever since.

So maybe I need to do something similar with CK, because I am out of patience with this writer's block crap.

No comments: